Sunday, October 23, 2011

Roll Roll Roller!

Over the past 4-5 months after getting my new DSLR and a Telephoto lens, I have visited a few Reserve forests and sanctuaries for birding and photography. But sometimes, I've got good bird photos closer home.

Recently, I visited my grandparents house in Vellore. I walked off to the river Palaru, which has been dry for more about 20 years, as all the water is trapped in dams in AP :( But, it is home to so many birds now (will write about them later).

As of now, lets focus on the Indian Roller.
The Indian Roller is a medium sized bird found in many parts of India. In tamil, it is called Panangaadai (பனங்காடை).

When I went to Palaru a few months back, I had discovered a big colony of Baya Weavers in an abandoned well. When I went near the well, a couple of blue coloured birds flew away from the well. Since it was dark, I couldn't identify the bird. But this time, I was lucky. 
I spotted one roller perched on a plant there. Kept following it and photographing for about an hour! It kept flying away as I approached the plant on which it was perched, but never flew far away. It was as though it was playing games with me, challenging me to come closer!

And, then.. came the next roller too. The roller is oh-so-beautiful in it's flight, displaying 3 different shades of blue (the photo on the blog header, of the Roller with wings spread out,  was captured by me during this time). More running and catching up with both of the Rollers for another hour and I was exhausted. Came back home, with so much happiness and some lovely photos :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011
Nature Pad

This Template is based on a template from
Free Blogger Templates