Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Common Kestrel

The best part about Chennai winters is that we get to see a lot of birds which we don't during the rest of the year. Several birds migrate to South India during winter from North India and even from other countries. Winter has begun and several migrant birds have already been reported this year (http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article2609128.ece)

I got an opportunity to see and click the Common Kestrel at Theosophical Society today morning. There are several sub-species of Common Kestrels, spread over several countries. The one I spotted today, breeds in East Asia (Tibet, China, Korea, Japan and also in some parts of Himalayas). During winter months, they migrate to South India and other parts of South East Asia. 

When I set out today for birding, early in the morning, I saw several smaller and more common birds like Green Bee Eaters, Common Babblers, Pipits etc. But, the Common Kestrel was the special guest today.
From a distance I noticed this raptor perched majestically on a branch, but couldn't identify it immediately. On moving closer, I realised that this is a female Common Kestrel. The males have a much darker shade of brown and the striated patterns are not so prominent.
Common Kestrel (Female)

I kept clicking several photos as I kept moving towards it, fearing it may fly away any second. But, this one wasn't shy. For a couple of seconds, she stared right at me. I walked pretty close to her and clicked a few more pics before she flew away.

Common Kestrel (Female)
But, she hadn't flown away too far. Walking a few more feet, I found her again, this time giving a me clear view without being hidden by branches or leaves.


Common Kestrel (Female)
This was my first set of clear pics of any raptor, and was absolutely delighted!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011
Nature Pad

This Template is based on a template from
Free Blogger Templates