Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The baby

Remember my post about our neighbourhood Shikras? I'd stopped going near the tree/nest of the as I didn't want them feel that the place is not secure and move their nest elsewhere. So, I had no idea whether the Shikra laid eggs or whether they hatched.

So, I was in for a big surprise when this baby turned up right in front of my apartment window, last week.

I saw it walk to and fro along the parapet wall of the neighbour's terrace, as I clicked pics. It took time for me to realise that the baby wasn't old enough to fly. I also noticed crows circling over it, and swooping down and attacking it. It just hopped, avoiding the crows and finally took shelter in a slightly dense Guava tree. I could see the mommy Shikra, perched on a coconut tree (one of it's regular spots), a few streets away. An hour or so later, while I was contemplating about calling an animal rescue office, I realised that the baby was not in the Guava tree anymore. The mommy must've rescued it's baby and moved it, because I spotted it a few hours later, on another tree.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011
Nature Pad

This Template is based on a template from
Free Blogger Templates